QA Analyst/Developer; Rainmaker Group DBA as Rent Jungle LLC
08/2014 – 01/2017 in Pittsburgh, PA
• Detected and resolved quality problems in software, achieving increases in data accuracy data for multiple projects and clients
• Improved the production process of written reports, increasing client confidence in upcoming action plans
• Leveraged Python and SQL to reduce the detection times and resolution times of unexpected challenges
• Maintained data analysis processes running in Amazon EC2 to increase both quantity and accuracy of incoming data
• Tested websites and apps for bugs and vulnerabilities
Graduate Student Researcher; University of Pittsburgh
08/2010 – 01/2014 in Pittsburgh, PA
• Conducted power analyses, mixed model statistical analyses, signal analysis, predictive models, and highly-dimensional factor analysis in statistical suites such as R and SPSS. Results published in academic journals and at conferences.
• Validated quality of research data collected online and accuracy of custom software, as well as security of servers
• Maintained dialog with the ethics board, ensuring our team followed HIPAA and best practices.
• Taught Research Methods classes instructing in the latest methods of cognitive science research
Graduate Student Researcher, New Mexico Highlands University
08/2008 – 08/2010 in Las Vegas, NM
• Developed pupil-tracking hardware and software in MATLAB and C# for assessing attention, in which data analysis code ran in parallel on a private cloud.
• Taught classes including brain dissection labs, in order to teach students how to recognize the components the the mammalian brain.
• Designed and coded novel research lab experiments with custom hardware, resulting in a successful thesis
• Developed and built a microcontroller device to determine the moment at which a word begins to be pronounced. The cost for the device totalled $30. The device was smaller, preferred by users, and auto-calibrated on startup, in contrast to typical $300-$400 commercial hardware.
Milieu Counselor, Desert Hills (ACADIA Healthcare)
08/2007 – 07/2008 in Albuquerque, NM
• Filed and maintained medical records
• Maintain safe environment for patients
University of Pittsburgh/Carnegie Mellon University joint graduate program: The Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition
08/2010 – 01/2014 in Pittsburgh, PA. Pursued PhD, did not obtain a degree.
Studied Cognitive Psychology with concentration in Cognitive Neuroscience.
New Mexico Highlands University
08/2008 – 12/2010 in Las Vegas, NM.
Earned Master’s of Science with a Major in Psychology.
Courses included pharmacology, statistical methods, psychology
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
08/2002 – 08/2007 in Socorro, NM.
Completed Bachelor's of Science with a major in Psychology and a minor in Biology
• Data analysis and QA testing using R, SAS, SPSS, MATLAB, Excel, Minitab and other tools
• Validation and administration of assessments
• International collection and management of confidential data
• Application coding in C, C#, PHP, MATLAB, Python
• LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack development and admin
• Amazon Web Services: Mechanical Turk, Amazon EC2, Amazon S3
QUALIFICATIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Published in the journal "Behavior Research Methods" on 01/03/2014:
“Collecting response times using Amazon Mechanical Turk and Adobe Flash”
Authors: Travis Simcox, Julie Fiez
Published in “International Journal of Bilingualism/SAGE” on 01/12/2012
“Does the language in which aversive stimuli are presented affect their processing?'
Authors: Travis Simcox, Maura Pilotti, Salif Mahamane, Eric Romero
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
Full Member: Association for Computing Machinery Member
Apple Certified Associate – Mac Management 10.9 issued by Apple Computer, License APPL174823
Full Member: Sigma Xi, The Scientific Honor Society